Partner Program writers are paid on a net 65 basis based on TIC readers activity on eligible posts. In this guide you can learn more about your payouts and how TIC calculates them.
We’re always working to improve our model as we learn. Initially, earnings will be calculated based on these components:
- How long members spend reading your posts
- Overall reach of all posts
- Additional subscribers to newsletters from your post
Logic for calculating daily story earnings Common questions
When will I be paid?
We’ll typically initiate sending payments for the month 65 days prior (earnings for June paid in September) by the 8th of the payment month. Payments may take 5-7 business days to appear in your bank account.
For example, we’ll initiate payments for earnings from the full month of June by Sept 8th. The time it may take to receive those amounts in your bank account may vary.
When are my monthly earnings updated?
Earnings are once a month and by request from email@example.com.
How does Turnup affect Partner Program earnings?
Getting Turnedup results in both a distribution and earnings bonus (due to the distribution). The Partner Program is designed to reward your most meaningful, original, and memorable posts.
How will shorter pieces perform in this new model?
We’ve tested the impact of this change on short-form writing to see if this affects earnings and what we see is less content at a certain point does slightly affect earnings. If anything, the collective impact of these changes will barely decrease earnings for short-form writing if all other variables are the same (i.e. time on page/post). The best way to maximize earnings here is to use titles, subtitles, topics, and preview images that spark reader interest in a way that the post is able to fully deliver on.
Setting up payouts with Stripe
To enroll in the TIC Partner Program and receive payouts from TIC, you will need to create or connect a free Stripe account.
At all times you must maintain an active, connected Stripe account that is able to receive payouts through our Program. If your account is not active or not able to receive payouts through our Program, after 180 days, you will forfeit any and all accumulated earnings that have not yet been paid out.
Countries supported in the Program
Currently, enrollment in the Partner Program is only available in the following countries:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Gibraltar, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- Should you be accepted into the Partner Program, during the enrollment process, agree to Stripe’s Terms of Service.
- Choose to create a Stripe Express or Standard account.
(Please note: Stripe requires either SMS or the Google Authenticator app for Two Factor Authorization, both of which usually require a mobile device.)
- Fill out the fields to activate your Stripe account. You MUST use your legal name to create your Stripe account. It is fine to use a pen name on TIC, but Stripe can’t verify and pay you unless you use your legal name.
About your Stripe account
- While Stripe may have additional supported countries including those available in beta or preview mode, TIC is currently only able to support our list of eligible countries.
- Requires either SMS or the Google Authenticator app for Two Factor Authorization.
- Can only be used to transfer payouts to bank accounts. Debit cards are not supported.
- Accessed directly with a password.
- A single account of this type can be used for multiple services, and not just TIC. The account can be managed through the Stripe Dashboard.
Will I still earn money if I don't add my taxpayer information?
The below information applies for both US taxpayers and nonresident aliens (non-US taxpayers).
While you cannot receive payments until you add verified taxpayer information, your posts can accumulate new earnings for up to one month. You will be eligible to receive payments if you add your taxpayer information within 180 days from the first day that nonzero earnings are posted to your Partner Program dashboard. After those 180 days have elapsed, your funds will be forfeited.
Below is the Partner Program earning and forfeiture timeline:
- First Week Earning: Your Partner Program stories will accumulate projected earnings until your Earning Limit Date. You will not receive payments until your taxpayer information is successfully verified, at which point you will receive payment for all prior projected earnings.
- Earning Limit Date (28 days after the Sunday of your first week earning): After your Earning Limit Date, your stories will no longer accumulate new earnings. You will still be able to submit taxpayer information. If your tax information is successfully verified before your Forfeiture Date, you will receive payment for all prior earnings, and your stories can begin earning again.
Forfeiture Date (180 days after the Sunday of your first week earning):
After your Forfeiture Date, you can no longer receive payment for prior earnings. However, you can still submit taxpayer information. Once your tax information is successfully verified, your stories will begin accumulating new earnings and you will receive payments each month.